The Mosque is found in the southern side of Ierapetra and was built in 1309 Anno Hegirae (which translates to 1891-92 AD), as the dates engraved in the entrance and on a metal plate on its southern wall indicate. It is believed that it was built on top of the remains of an older mosque.
The Mosque is a rectangular building with wooden roof that is supported on four pillars covered by roof tiles. In its architectural design there are distinctive references to eclectic and neoclassical trends that influenced Crete in the late 19th century.
The minaret stands out in the NW corner of the Mosque, as the Islamic tradition wants it. Its roof and top portion collapsed during an earthquake in 1953.
South-west of the mosque there is an Ottoman fountain and along with the Mosque they consist a remarkable cluster of Ottoman architecture in Crete. The fountain was a sebil (public water fountains) and was used as an ablution fountain for the worshippers before they entered the Mosque. The fountain is an octagonal structure with dome roof made by a variety of hewn stones of different sizes. On every side of the fountain there are outflow holes along with troughs for collecting water.
Informations : Municipality of Ierapetra
Photos : Hercules Milas, Eleftherios Elis
Translation : Christina Chrisoula, Christopher Charalambakis